Cucumber Kimchi, I was only told about this today, when it clicked in my mind how much it makes sense and why have I not tried this before. Luckily enough I had some cucumbers ready in the garden to try this out.
Cucumber Kimchi :
- 1 large cucumber sliced
- 2 tbsp Korean pepper flakes
- 1 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp honey if vegan replace with rice mault syrup
- 1 1/4 cup rice wine vinigar
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 x 5cm knob ginger fine grated
- 2 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika or if you require hotter could add medium paprika
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 tsp salt
slice your cucumbers not to thin and add to a bowl with salt, toss and leave to stand for half an hour, in this time in another bowl add all other ingredients and combined alter to taste, once cucumber has stood long enough drain the excess water out and toss the cucumber slices through your mixture, transfer into a air tight jar and place in the fridge to start the fermentation.